Lubbock & West Texas Active Adults

Especially but not exclusively for those over 30 trying to get into or stay in shape. Discuss bicycle riding and cycling issues, golf, body-building, whatever

You are not connected. Please login or register

No Trespassing Signs at Purina

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 No Trespassing Signs at Purina on Mon May 24, 2010 8:49 pm

Didn't know where to post this, so this seemed like a good place. Today I was out at Purina (mountain bikers know where it is), going along the trail on the north side of the creek when I saw a cheap "no trespassing" sign (like the kind you'd buy at Home Depot or wherever) nailed to a tree and some others placed around a campsite. Somebody has pitched a tent with a tarp structure over it near where the dirt jumps are and seems to be staking a claim to the area. You know, right in the middle of the trail, and on our public land. Camping permanently on city property isn't even legal so far as I know (making the tent dweller/s the "trespassers.").

Pretty ballsy, to be putting up those signs when you are illegally camping out on city land. I wouldnt' care if someone put up a tent and minded their own business, but this isn't really the case. I'm not sure what they would do to deal with "trespassers"; maybe sabotage the trails again or something? I saw someone who may be the person living there up on the canyon rim above and he didn't seem too friendly/approachable.

Maybe he (or they) will just move along -- I thought of calling LPD, but I called them out there two years ago on something similar (people cutting down trees blocking the trails and dumping garbage) and didn't get a real response, so I'll just wait and see if they are still there next time. It'd be nice to get more mountain bikers back out at Purina and reclaim the place as a public biking trail.

View user profile

2 Re: No Trespassing Signs at Purina on Tue May 25, 2010 11:30 am

Inside Lubbock city limits there is a belt of realtively wild places that few use or know about. I worry all the time that it will either be scraped bare and developed into tract houses or parkland.

Techsan, I agree that it is best to use Purina. If enough people use and enjoy that land, then it will have less to fear from city leaders as well as squatters.

Watch out, though, in case those folks have squirrel rifles. Might be making moonshine or growing marijuana. affraid

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum