Lubbock & West Texas Active Adults
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Lubbock & West Texas Active Adults

Especially but not exclusively for those over 30 trying to get into or stay in shape. Discuss bicycle riding and cycling issues, golf, body-building, whatever

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ride of Silence 2011

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Ride of Silence 2011 Empty Ride of Silence 2011 Mon May 16, 2011 1:27 pm

ElAlacran

Wednesday, May 18, 2011.
http://www.biketexas.org/en/news/community/1121-ride-of-silence-is-wednesday-may-18-2011

But is there one in Lubbock? Prior to 2010, there was one held yearly usually going along Milwaukee from the trianglar park between the spur, Brownfield Rd, and Milwaukee.

In 2010 as far as I could tell, none was held. So far I've heard nothing about one this year.

So, health, weather, and time permitting, I'm going to hold my own, starting around 7 p.m. from the Will Rogers statue at Memorial Circle of TTU and going along Broadway to about Crickets Ave., turning north to Main St., from Main to N or O, then north to 10th St., 10th past Q to R, then north on R to Glenna Goodacre Blvd, and following that onto the Tech campus to place of origin. Perhaps beyond to circle Tech Terrace Park and then back to TTU.

Anyone wants to join, welcome. Feel free to email me at webhund at aol dot com. It is a ride of silence, so there is no talking or racing after starting, just slow, somber riding at 10-12 mph, observing traffic lights and signs and wearing helmets. I'll probably be on my trusty commuter MTB, Nehi. A neophyte cyclist, I have trouble giving turn signals without crashing, but that's okay.

We've had three bad bike mishaps here in and around Lubbock, the police captain hit down toward New Home, the triathlete killed by a truck out toward Buffalo Lakes while competing (!), and the lady killed this year while riding on West 4th St. All pickup trucks versus experienced bicyclists. Plus a child on a bike was hit too. There is much to think about as we ride this year.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum