Lubbock & West Texas Active Adults
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Lubbock & West Texas Active Adults

Especially but not exclusively for those over 30 trying to get into or stay in shape. Discuss bicycle riding and cycling issues, golf, body-building, whatever

You are not connected. Please login or register

Delts & Lateral Lifts

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Delts & Lateral Lifts Empty Delts & Lateral Lifts Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:23 pm

ElAlacran

Did these for years using light weights, high reps from 30-100, no problema for years.

Then in late 2009 I started having shoulder pain. Seemed to be somewhere in the the delts, seemingly not rotator cuff though sources say you can't tell the difference. I could actually push my finger against a sore part of the delt down in the muscle.

Finally this year I think I've identified the cause. Not a rotator cuff at all but a delt strain cause by doing the exercise wrong.

Using light weights I had learned to lead with my hands as I raised my arms; this is mechanically undesirable and strains certain bundles of muscle fibers deep within the medial deltoid that are involved in twisting the humerus to spread the hands as well as raising the humerus.

Instead I need to lead with my elbows, to have a sense of using my upper arm and shoulder and not the lower arm and hands in the lift.

This has already let me lift heavier without pain.

2Delts & Lateral Lifts Empty Re: Delts & Lateral Lifts Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:24 pm

ElAlacran

For the first time in more than 2 years I can do vertical rows. This I believe is thanks to the change in the way I do lateral lifts.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum