Lubbock & West Texas Active Adults
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Lubbock & West Texas Active Adults

Especially but not exclusively for those over 30 trying to get into or stay in shape. Discuss bicycle riding and cycling issues, golf, body-building, whatever

You are not connected. Please login or register

Treadmills

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Treadmills Empty Treadmills Wed May 26, 2010 11:05 am

ElAlacran

Just want to make a comment about treadmills.

Obviously, they are safer. No chance at all of getting hit by a car or mugged or bitten by somebody else's dog while you are walking on the treadmill.

Not that they are perfectly safe. People have gotten hurt on the things. Nothing is perfectly safe.

But the problem with treadmills is that they don't duplcate the exercise you get while actually walking, running, or jogging. Here's why.

When you walk, jog or run, you are pushing your body forward. Glutes, hamstrings, and calves are involved.

With a moving treadmill, the track is moving, and all you have to do is pick up your feet and move them forward then let them be moved back by the treadmill. So the muscles you exercise tend to be those involved in bringing the leg forward, not in pushing your body forward.

This is why some say that treadmills and power steppers and so on can create muscle imbalances. Which IMO is another reason to exercise in different ways and not just one.

But there is another way to exercise on a treadmill that I want to share: The track will move when the machine is off if you push it your feet. Try it. (Helps to adjust the track so you are going somewhat uphill.) Takes a lot more effort, huh? While I can't keep it up for long, it is a good exercise, for intervals for example.

2Treadmills Empty Re: Treadmills Mon May 23, 2011 4:53 pm

ElAlacran

Over at an in-law's house, I was running mightily on the treadmill while it was not on when I was informed that in the householder's opinion that was bad for the treadmill. Really?

I had wondered about that. But I don't see how. What moves when YOU power the treadmill moves when it is turned on. The gears or belt that connects the motor to the track should get the same wear either way.

Anyway, if you have a treadmill with a burned out motor, see if you can move the track with your feet. If you can, you may want to use it as is.

It is a LOT harder exercise when the thing is off!

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum